Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Melissa's thoughts on Twilight...

Before I fell in love with Edward - and even before I read the first page - "Twilight" had my full attention. As a native of western Washington who spent every spring and summer traveling through the Olympic Pennisula enjoying the cold, sandy beaches, hiking trails and little league baseball seasons (another story for another time) I was thrilled to see someone put Forks on the map.

Stephanie Meyer's descriptions of the forests and weather brought everything back to me - I could close my eyes and see the great northwest. A nice thing for a girl who still gets homesick living in the South. I appreciate Meyer's skill for bringing such a dreary, wet place to life. And I also love her reasoning for setting a modern-day vampire story there.

Now about Bella's choice - "to be or not to be." Don't hate me for what I'm about to say, because I am a big Edward lover. As I read about Bella's teenage turmoil and passion, it reminded me of my own teenage love. When you're in high school you think you know everything - including what true love is. That's why you have second chances, so after you realize you need to change or move on, you can. Bella is too young to choose Edward for eternity. Maybe after a couple books and some more experience I could condone the choice - but not when it is still in the teenage crush stage. I know the relationship is more than a crush for Edward, but he has already had that experience. Now go ahead and argue with me - cause I know you want to disagree ; )

No comments: