Monday, July 2, 2007

It had me hook, line and sinker....

Joining the ranks of the hopeless romantics before me, I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. I couldn't put it down. Anybody with me that we should read New Moon for July's book? ;)

The author's writing style is a major plus to the book. The plot is good, and I love the twists she brings to the vampire myth. It was so easy to read and imagine yourself there. She explains in her FAQs on her website why she never describes Bella. I definitely felt myself in her place, laughing out loud, gasping in certain places and even feeling embarrassed as something she did reminded me of something I had done with a boy before, IE: totally tongue tied and saying stupid things. Oh yes.

I definitely loved reading from Edward's point of view. I really hope that Midnight Sun makes it to the bookshelves. Hopefully it will explain some of Edward's odd behavior. Bella mentions several times that his mood swings were sudden and extreme. I am sure it's b/c Edward, along with his other talents, is very perceptive and can think about a million times faster than we can. But I still want to know where his mind takes him that he gets so grumpy over something seemingly so innocent.

The only thing I found distracting in the book was how often we were told the vampires were beautiful. There was hardly a reference to Edward that didn't include something to tell us how beautiful, scintillating, exquisite, graceful, etc, he was. But maybe I'm just jealous. No, I just looked at a picture of my husband, not jealous. :)

Funny side note: My favorite place to read at my parent's house was on the couch in their living room. I would lay on my back, with a pillow under one side so that I wouldn't be cutting off my circulation and it was just more comfortable with all the back pain I've experienced since being pregnant, and the book would rest on my stomach and knees. Well, every so often, the book would start bouncing, and then it would stop, and then it would start again. It was so funny, b/c you still can't really tell that I am pregnant for how pregnant I am (22 weeks/5 months). So the fact that my little boy is strong enough to bounce the book on my tummy made me laugh. And that was at 19 weeks!

Okay, now to answer Lisa's question: I really want to see Bella changed. Edward has looked/waited for almost a hundred years to find this kind of bond and it would suck to have that for a short blip of time and then eternity without. Not to mention, what if he found someone later, would he feel guilty and then deny himself another chance at happiness? And, not to mention that fact that she's almost been killed how many times, and she was bit by James. It wasn't even Edward's doing and she was almost changed. She has very little family and she understands what she would be signing on for, I think it's her choice. If she wants to, then when the time is right, it should happen.

No comments: