Tuesday, July 24, 2007

For Cat... (and any other writers on the blog)


Below is an article from Writers Digest, written - ironically - by Jodi Picoult about how she became a writer. I don't know how many of you like to write, but Cat and I get together once in a while and read eachother's work. We even took an online writing class last fall. Anyway, I liked the article:


I'VE ALWAYS WANTED to be a writer, but I never really thought I'd succeed. Children always have grandiose plans to become astronauts and Major League pitchers and movie stars. But somehow in real life that translates into accountants and stay-at-home moms and sales reps. Still, in the mid-1980s, I struck off for a creative writing program at Princeton University, certain I was going to set the literary world on its ear.

My professor was Mary Morris, an astoundingly fine writer herself. The day my first story was being workshopped, she made me sit on the floor with a glue stick, scissors and construction paper. As the class ripped my masterpiece to shreds, I was to cut and paste together their suggestions. I left the class that day in tears and edited my piece over and over until Mary finally told me to send it to Seventeen magazine. Three months later, an editor left a message on my dorm-room answering machine. They wanted to publish the story. And did I have any more?.....(read more)

http://www.writersdigest.com/articles/picoult_trytryagain.asp

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that she says, "Writers are, by definition, riddled with self-doubt." So true.

Melissa said...

While its inspiring to see how she broke through and become someone, it is also depressing to see how many times she got rejected. So many books and years later, she finally was published. Talk about enduring to the end!