Tuesday, July 17, 2007

How's the reading?

Hi everyone!

So are you enjoying "Back when we were grownups"? I just finished last night and can't wait to talk about it at the end of the month. Without giving away any plot, I'd like to hear your opinions on the main character - what do you think about Rebecca Davitch?

And here is information on the author:
- Anne Tyler lived in several Quaker communities while growing up. She started writing short stories when she was 7 years old.
- Tyler attended Duke University, where she majored in Russian.
- Most of her novels are set in Baltimore, where she now lives with her family.
- Tyler is known for her keen ear for dialogue and life-like characters which have won critical acclaim.
- Throughout Tyler's novels, characters struggle to negotiate a balance between self-identity and family identity.

Has anyone read any of her other books?

5 comments:

Lisa Brown said...

Ahh, I never had a chance to get it before we take off tomorrow at the crack of dawn . . . I guess I'll have to try and find a copy in Idaho.

Tony and Stef said...

I finally got the book in the mail last night and finished it this morning. I can't wait to discuss it later. But as soon as I finished it I felt the need to go back and re-read it more carefully. I think that's a credit to Anne Tyler that she discusses such huge issues so subtly you don't realize the enormity of them until it's time to reflect. Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks!

Anonymous said...

I still haven't gotten it yet. I am waiting on the library. But I will have it done on time. I promise!!

Kyla Marks said...

I just started reading it, I am having a little time getting into this one, I think it's the writing style and just trying to wrap my brain around the names. They are so unconventional that I find myself sidetracked by them and not focusing as clearly on the novel. I do look forward to it picking up a bit and really grabbing me in...

Tony and Stef said...

I understand the names problem. I had that problem at the begining as well. I was worried I would miss something imporatnt or wouldn't be able to keep track of them all. But (1) I think the confusion over the names is done on purpose by Tyler or else why would she have over 20 characters in one novel(a topic to discuss at the end of the month-?)and (2) you get to know them as the novel proceeds. I was a little discouraged at the begining with all the characters but always remember you can read it again when you really know the characters...and by the end you feel like you know them. Personally I was bothered by the multitude of characters who almost ALL have nicknames...but I don't think Tyler did it on accident...Happy Reading!