Thursday, July 26, 2007

Back When We Were Grownups....discussion

I finished reading this book yesterday. And while I loved the book, I felt very sad at the end. I could identify with Rebecca, and I felt that the author conveyed very realistic emotions to help me identify with her.

Here are some questions to get the ball rolling. And since I am in charge, most of them are about Rebecca b/c I thought she was a great character.

1. "How on earth did I get like this?" wonders Rebecca at the start of the novel about the person she has become. Have you ever had a moment like this? Did you end up with the life you thought you would have?

2. Do you think that Rebecca would have stayed with Will if she had not met Joe?

3. Tina's visit leads Rebecca to observe her life from the uncomfortable perspective of an outsider. Have you ever had that experience with a guest?

4. Will reminds Rebecca that she wanted a big family with all of its rituals, a fact Rebecca had forgotten about the girl she once was. How could Rebecca have forgotten such an important piece of information about herself?

5. Why is Will so determined to see Rebecca as she is not?

6. Zeb never married. Do you think he has been waiting for Rebecca all these years? What do you think will happen with Rebecca and Zeb? Who will have to make the first move if this relationship is ever to get off the ground?

7. Which is your favorite character in this novel and why?

If anyone else has questions they would like to discuss, feel free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. I think we all have moments in our life when we look back and wonder where we would be IF I had moved away from home for college, or not dated that one guy, but I think as long as we are doing the right things, we end up with the life we are supposed to have, which might not always be what we thought we wanted.

2. I think she would have found another excuse to leave Will. I mean, it really didn't take her that much to leave him for Joe in the first place. I think so often we do what we think others expect of us and not what we really want. It takes courage to walk away from something that you don't want, but your parents/mom do.

3. For whatever reason, I have that experience a lot. Sometimes even within my own family. I don't have a head for stories, so I forget them and then when it comes up at a family gathering, I never know what anyone is talking about. I thought it wa bad with my family, it just got even worse when I got a new family after marrying my husband.

4. I think Rebecca was so focused on how she became someone she didn't want to be, that she assumed everypart of her new life (as a Davitch) was contrary to what she had expected her life to be as a young girl.

5. I think it's because he wants to be in control and he is still hurt after her leaving him and his wife leaving him.

6. I think Zeb does carry an affection for Rebecca. I definitly think he was trying to flirt with her that first night she met any of them. But Joe being older and 'wiser' swooped in. Had Zeb been closer to her in stages of life, I think it could been different. I hope they get together, but I think it will have to be Rebecca who makes the first move. She did say that she was still in mourning for Joe.

7. Rebecca, b/c I feel like I can identify with her and how she has to do things in life and the way people respond to her, ie: her children.