Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Book Discussion!!!

Hello all! Thanks everyone for being patient with me... I've been able to have so much fun being here in Utah for my husbands graduation and visit with family. Unfortunately, it's been about two weeks since I finished the book, and (silly me) I neglected to bring it with me on my trip, so here I am in Utah without the book to turn back to for these questions. So, if my answers are a little short, or I forget stuff... forgive me. I'm excited to see what you all think!

Okay, so here we go...

1. Books play an important role in The Thirteenth Tale. Discuss Margaret and Miss Winter's relationships to books and stories. Could you relate with them? What is your relationship to books? Do you agree with Miss Winter that stories can reveal truth better than simply stating it? I felt that Margaret's relationship with books was her escape... she had found out that she was actually a twin and that seemed to effect her immensely. I think that she turned to books as an escape from her feelings of loss. Especially with her mother being somewhat distant to Margaret... With Miss Winter, her stories were a front, a disguise that she used to either not deal with reality, or hide her reality from others... I personally don't blame her. She grew up with some crazy circumstances... how could you not want to hide that (or from that)! In that way, I suppose, that Margaret and Miss Winter are similar. I personally, can relate in a way... my story isn't as dramatic as Miss Winter's, but growing up, I used my books as an escape. I still do, I suppose. If things are too difficult, I tend to want to forget about it and curl up somewhere comfy, reading a good book. Either an old reliable, or something new and exciting.
Let's see, the last part of the question... I think that in a lot of ways stories can give you a better idea of truth, than stating it. Stories can give you an insight into why certain decisions were made... not just that the decisions were made. Stories can give you a different perspective than the one that you normally have, so in that way, yes, I agree.

2. After Mrs. Dunne and John Digence die, Miss Winter says "the girl in the mist" emerges. Did you believe that Adeline had matured? If not, did you suspect the true identity of the character? I have to say that this book was great in the way that it totally surprised me. I thought that it was definately Adeline who had emerged and changed. I kept thinking, "Who else would it be??" It seemed from the beginning when the nanny (name??) arrived and was working with the Dr. to help the girls, from things that she had observed I thought for sure that Adeline would come out of her wildness. Especially since they seemed to suggest that Emmeline had a little bit.

3. When did you first suspect Miss Winter's true identity? Were you surprised? Looking back, what clues did she give you? When... hmmm.... more like, Did I suspect...?? And the answer to that would be no. Maybe you all reading this were much more aware, but I was totally taken by surprise. I had no idea. It all made sense to me at the end, but leading up to that, I was clueless. Looking back, she definately gave clues. The way she changed from third person perspective to first person. When the book first mentioned it, I noted it... but couldn't figure it out so I dismissed it a little. Then, when she changed to first person, I still noticed, but again... still couldn't figure it out. I had no idea that there was another character that wasn't introduced in the mainstream story. It makes sense that there was... but it never occurred to me. The author did such a great job giving you those clues and in that way keeping you riveted to the story. The fact that I STILL couldn't figure it out until it was explained made it all that more exciting.

4. Do you think Adeline or Emmeline was saved from the fire? I think that it was Adeline... Miss Winter was planning on saving Emmeline, but in one of those ironic twist of fate saved Adeline instead. I don't have my book with me, so I can't remember everything that happened to make me think that, but I know that I did.

5. Do you think it is harder to keep a secret or confess the complete truth?
If I was Miss Winter, then maybe it would be easier to keep a secret... unfortunately, I don't have her story telling ability, so I don't think that I'd be able to do it. However, from the story, I think that telling all of those lies took it's toll on Miss Winter. I feel that at the end, when she finished telling her story, I felt like she was relieved to have it out. I don't think that I would be able to keep a secret like Miss Winter and be able to function normally... it just seems like too much work.

Okay, everyone... I'm sorry that my answers are pretty simple, but I'm excited to see what you guys thought about this book. Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it really captured my attention. It kept me wanting to read more, and more, and that's usually a good sign. It was somewhat sad and depressing, and dark in some places, but it showed how Miss Winter could overcome some of the most difficult circumstances, and help Margaret with some of her issues along the way.

Anyway, it's your turn... you can post to all the questions, or just choose one. Your choice. (Okay, I just wasn't sure how many questions to do... )

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I can definitely relate with them. I think people who read novels are looking for an escape of some kind. Or even friends between the pages. I think Margaret used books to escape her loneliness and to find something of herself or her sister in books. Miss Winter used books to escape her childhood and when she couldn't escape it any more, that was when she told her story. I love books and they provide an escape for me, from missing my husband, dealing with a demanding baby, or just to escape my life for a while and see how someone else 'lives'. When you walk in a characters shoes, you can draw parallels to your own life or ask what would you do in that situation and see yourself better or worse.

2. I thought Adeline had matured. I had not figured out that there was a third person yet. I thought that Adeline was always a lot smarter than what the author revealed and that she was wild b/c she could be, and once she saw that there was something real to be done, she cast off her wildness.

3. I didn't figure it out until Margaret figured it out. Which made me feel really stupid b/c she did hint towards it the whole time. Especially when Hester saw Emmeline playing with someone when she went to the doctor's house one day after the separation. It came so far after Charlie's part of the story that I forgot that there were 'lots of Sybilla's' but after getting caught one time with some well known family, he had to go to lower class folk.

4. I think it was Adeline. Emmeline seemed tobe able to cope after a while when Hester and the doctor separated them, but Adeline went catatonic and stayed catatonic until they were put back together. The one who survived continued looking for her twin (digging up the garden) and continued talking the twin speech, never seemed to be able to exist on her own.

5. I think it's hard to do both. When you keep a secret, you have to concoct all these lies to keep it kept and it's hard to remember what you've said when and to whom. But to tell the whole truth, many times it involves other people and it is hard to betray their secret too. But everyone was dead or dying by the time Miss WInter was ready to reveal her truth.

I thought it was a great book, a little dark in some places for me, but necessary for the story and it didn't dwell which was nice. I enjoyed Margaret's part of the story as well, how through telling Miss Winter's story, she was able to come to peace with the loss of her twin. I thought it was interesting too, what she says about twins and non twins, how twins seem to be complete within themselves while everyone who is not a twin, searches for their other half/soul mate/spouse what have you. I don't have the book so I can't quote it exactly but I think it came towards the end.

Unknown said...

1. Wow this book was good. Ok suspense, and such a good story. I love books so I can totally relate to Margaret. I always have a book that I am reading and if it is good I would rather stay home and read, I will stay up until 3 to read. Miss Winter and Margaret read because that is the only way to escape reality and reality hurts. Poor Miss Winter grew up not existing, how sad would that be? I don't think the world would have understood the truth if she would have just stated it. It is so odd that they would have thought it a story; as I kind of did for a lot of it. I really thought she was telling one more before she died and the world would never really know the truth.


2. I thought it was Adeline. She showed some abilities and I thought naturally she came out of the mist when she was needed. I never dreamed that there was a third girl. It only makes sense now, and it makes sense why she was able to be normal, her father and mother where not siblings. Adeline was the one most affected by her sister be taken away so I just thought that with the death of the care takers that she would step up.


3. I found out in the end, even though I had a thought of there being triplets when the girls where seen playing together during the experiment. I also wondered why the nannies journal disappeared and reappeared with out her ever seeing emmeline take it and return it. I noticed the third person and first person but thought it was just how she told the story because it had been so long ago and she had removed herself from it. The author did such a good job giving just enough clues but not reveling too much at once so that you didn't put the clues together.


4. At first I thought Emmeline, but after she told the story of the fire and the baby I knew it was Adeline. It makes sense because she was always digging and speaking the twin language. But also because when she meet her (should have been son) I think Emmeline would have reacted differently. Adeline acted that way because she thought all along that she had taken care of the baby and found out in the end that he had lived. I sometimes think now looking back that emmeline was more intelligent then Adeline. She was able to love the baby and feed it; Adeline was only jealous and the trend was that she had anger and hatred in her.


5. For Miss Winter keeping it a secret and caused her agony, she kept to herself as long as she could and knew that in the end it had to be told. I only wish the Margret had chosen to publish the story. She need not call it an autobiography but it was such a crazy story people would have loved it and just thought she had given her finally 13th tale. I should have wrote my thoughts down right after reading the book because I read it the first week of April…So I probably have more just won't remember until later! Good choice on book and I look forward to the next one.

Tam said...

1. I have always used reading as a way to escape and relax. I agree with the Cat about Margret and Miss Winter!

2. I first thought there were 3 girls when the Doctors wife got hit in the head and she saw the mat on the floor with the Jane Eyre. Right there I knew somebody else was living in the house. I just did know who or what actually.

3. I thought she was Adeline but I also always kept that whole thing in the back of my mind about Charlie and the other women. That whole part of the book was just weird but at least it moved along fast so we did not dwell on all that!

4. Adeline was the one saved from the fire...not Emmeline.

5. I think it depends. It really depends on why you have to have a secret. Are you protecting someone? I think at the end she was confessing it knowing that no one could be hurt anymore and plus times had changed since this all had taken place. She was dying and she held the truth and being a writer she wanted someone she trusted to know the truth.

I enjoyed this book and I read it back in January so I am trying to remember lots of the details. I read it in a day it was sort of dark in certain places but at least it went quickly.

Kyla Marks said...

1. I loved how this book used books as part of the story and storytelling as well. I am one who doesn't intentionally use books to escape, but know as a child I did exactly like Margaret and Miss Winter, I read to go to happier places or places where I didn't have to compete with my siblings. I really related to the characters on that part.

2. I thought it was Adeline just like everyone else. I remembered the part Tam mentioned about the doctor's wife, but I thought since she had hit her head she was just mixing things up in her mind.

3. I didn't make to much of the third to first person changes...I need to pay attention more. I couldn't believe I didn't find out until Margaret found out, I am normally one who figures stuff out really quick.

4. I never thought it was Emmeline, I always thought it was Adeline saved.

5. I think initially it's harder to tell the whole truth, but in the long run it's harder to keep up lies. One lie turns into 10 and so on and so forth. I think Miss Winter finally felt she could and had to tell her story. Things were so different she was able to tell it and with everyone almost or either dead it gave her that push she needed to open up.

I enjoyed the book, it was a little darker than I like...but I love reading something different. It was a great choice and wonderful discussion questions.

Anyone know what we are reading for May?

Jessie's Joy in Her Journey said...

1. Books play an important role in The Thirteenth Tale. Discuss Margaret and Miss Winter's relationships to books and stories. Could you relate with them? What is your relationship to books? Do you agree with Miss Winter that stories can reveal truth better than simply stating it?
I agree that books can be an escape and I definately partake of that blessing. I thought it was interesting that Margaret disappeared into real lives instead of imaginary. I think that often times we are able to make realizations about ourselves through the lives of others. I have lots of ah ha moments where a character will be struggling with something and I say to myself, I am so grateful for where I am, or man I need to be better. So yes, truths are revealed through stories.
On a side note, I want a library just like Miss Winters when I grow up. hee hee
2. After Mrs. Dunne and John Digence die, Miss Winter says "the girl in the mist" emerges. Did you believe that Adeline had matured? If not, did you suspect the true identity of the character?
I wasnt' sure what was going on. I felt that maybe Miss Winter who I thought was Adeline, was feeling the draw of education and the freedom that comes with that. I thought maybe she was particularly stubborn though and did not want to show it. I had no clue that there might be another child. I thought maybe there was a little boy from an affair of John the Dig, maybe, but there was nothing to back that up aside from the questioning of the nanny.
3. When did you first suspect Miss Winter's true identity? Were you surprised? Looking back, what clues did she give you? I am sure that there were lots of clues, the bed, the "boy" asked about by the nanny, the girl in the mist, etc. I was completely caught unawares. I loved it!! I love to figure out a story, but it kindof takes the fun out of the mystery if you know how it ends. Diane is such a master with words and storyline. She wove her tale so beautifully and left not loose strings. I loved it and I was glad to be kept on guard to the end!
4. Do you think Adeline or Emmeline was saved from the fire? Unfortunately, I think it was Adeline. I think that Emmeline would have been able to work her way into a comfortable existence and "live" a fairly normal life. I think that it being Adeline, allowed Miss Winter to continue to seek for escape in her stories.
5. Do you think it is harder to keep a secret or confess the complete truth?
So much harder to keep a secret. The truth hurts and it's not ever easy to lay yourself bare, but secrets fester and build until the force their ways out.

Lisa Brown said...

1. I defintiely agree that you can learn truth more through stories, than through just stating it. Stories allow you to put yourself in someone elses shoes and learn from their perspective. They allow you to become emotionally invested. I was thinking that even Christ taught using parables to help people understand the truth he wanted to teach. And yes, both Margeret and Mrs. Winter used their stories to escape from the lives that they had.

2. I was shocked as well, but it because I didn't even think on the possibility that there could be another girl. The funny thing was that she even gave us some clues, but hid them well enough in the rest of the story so as not to give it away.

3. Some of the clues I remember, other than the change of perspective in the story, was when the nanny saw two girls playing while Adelline was still locked up, or the way the doors would be unlocked and books moved. I think there were afew other times when someone thought they saw another girl too.

4.I think she saved Adeline too, which was the reason she gave the baby away ubstead of keeping him and beginng a new life with Emmaline like she had planned on doing.

5. I think it was very hard for Mrs. Winter to actually tell the truth, as she had been living a lie from the day she was born. Imagine never being allowed to have your own identiy, being forced to live as someone else, and then finally creating your identity. You wouldn't know how to tell the truth. Besides, I feel that she was always searching for a truth she would never find - the truth about her own origins.

I really enjoyed the book, even though there were some depressing parts and a dark theme. The storytelling drew me in, and the author did a wonderful job of surprising me, as I figured things out along with Margeret. My favorite character was Emmaline's son - whenever he was in the story, it was as if hope would return, even though he also had a sad history. I especially love that he found his half sister in the end, and finally had a real family.

Melissa said...

I really really wanted her to have saved Emmeline, but you're right - the evidence points to Adeline.