Friday, November 16, 2007

Happy Friday before Thanksgiving!

image from here.

November is racing past and our next book discussion will be here before you know it. Until then, I thought it would be fun to share books and authors we are thankful for. Who wrote a book that you just love, or that has changed your attitude on life? (And the Bible and Book of Mormon are pretty obvious answers, so no cop outs if you please.)

I think my answer would have to be....

I'm thankful for L.M. Montgomery's stories - specifically "The Blue Castle" and "Emily of New Moon." The first one scared me into living my life the way I want it today, before tomorrow comes. And "Emily of New Moon" was one of my favorite books growing up. The main character - Emily - loved to write and adored nature. I was always self-concious of loving to write, read and hike with my family. Emily's character helped my young self believe that I wasn't alone.

Okay - your turn. Which books or authors are you thankful for influencing your life?

2 comments:

Lisa Brown said...

There are so many, but if I was to say which books really influenced me when I was young, I would have to say the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. It was such an adventure reading of how she grew up, and I have to say that Almonzo was the first boy in a book that I completely fell in love with.

I also remember how "The First Four Years" - her last book, really showed me how life can bring you tragedy, but you can still overcome. I am grateful for all good books!!

Jessie's Joy in Her Journey said...

Wow it is tough to choose. I would have to say that I am really grateful for the Anne of Green Gables series. For opening my eyes to the joy of imagination and to taking each day and living it to the fullest. I am so grateful for the joyful stories of my youth, ie: The Pokey Little Puppy, Shirley Temples fairy Tales, The Girl with Silver Eyes, The Ordinary Princess and Time at the Top. Even the Babysitters Club books. Each one invited me into a new world where I found pieces of the woman I am today. Their invitations fostered a deep and abiding love for reading that has brought me so much joy! I love to read!