Monday, October 1, 2007

Book Club Confession

I have a little confession, I a little disappointed in the bookclub. I was wondering if we going to discuss the book this month or not? I know people have been busy, but that probably won't change anytime soon. I joined wanting to expand my own reading realm and to get other people's opinions. Half of the people in the bookclub don't comment on the books and it shouldn't be left up to 2-3 people to lead everything. If it needs to be 2-3 people that's fine. Also, if people can't contribute, then go to a book a quarter or comment on the books you are reading on your own. It is just a little disappointing to have the ball dropped. I love the idea of a bookclub, but it requires work and input by all people. I have a lot of stress going on in my life, like all people...but having the bookclub is a nice normal way to get away and do something not as stressful. If fitting this in is too much, don't do it. Also, I hope this doesn't upset anyone, especially since I wasn't a founding member or anything. My filter isn't as strong as it use to be due to the stress, but this has been on my mind a lot and I wanted to see if this month was any different. If anyone feels the same, speak up and let's work together to make this what everyone wants it to be. A place to read and discuss books openly and everyone expand their own personal library.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I understand your frustration. Even if people don't contribute on a regular basis, I'd still like them to feel like they can when they choose too. Most of the people who have joined and don't contribute regularly are my friends who I invited after I started the blog. They don't quite understand the blog thing - meaning they forget to check things regularly.

On a side note - Lisa, who is leading this months book, is dealing with a very ill son right now. Her little boy has the Croup. I'll ask her if she would like us to move on and discuss without her.

True, we are a little unorganized - but we are also still new to this book blog thing. Maybe it would help if we planned a 3 or 6 month schedule, including Book choice posting dates, book selection dates, monthly moderators. I'd also like to see us start more discussions that don't have to do with our current book - like you mentioned discussing whatever else we are reading.

I am open to hear more ideas.

Anonymous said...

I get frustrated as well when it the blog seems to stale and stall. I am grateful for the ones who do contribute, albeit, I wish more did as well.

I like the idea of having other discussions besides the book we are reading.

And maybe it would be better if we had a calendar and a moderator schedule.

Thanks again for those who do contribute. I look forward to hearing everyone's opinions on books. But I am a nerd. :)

Melissa said...

Any volunteers for coming up with a calendar for now through Jan? We can see how it goes and make adjustments at the begining of the new year.

Kyla Marks said...

I think all that sounds great, I'm willing to help where I can...I do think that with a little more organization this club could be great. like I said I didn't want to step on anyones toes, I do think other discussions would be great...

Anonymous said...

I'll do it. How about anyone who wants to submit books, email the name and author, it can be 1 or 20. I'll put them all in a hat, pull them out and that will be the book for the month. And like we have been doing, who suggests the book will lead the online discussion. I'll make sure it's not the same person every month, unless you don't care, let me know. my email is cjwaldorf@Hotmail.com, put book club in the title so I don't think you are someone who is trying to sned me a virus. :)
I'll post the calendar on the blog so you can reference it at anytime. Please have your submissions in by oct 15.
I'll put this up as a post as well.

Melissa said...

Thanks Cat, for the great suggestion!