Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My "The Host" thoughts

Ok, so it took me a while to do all my last month's book review...but finally, I am excited to hear what everyone is reading for July.

What was your opinion before you started reading and how did it change through out the story?

Before I started reading this book, I thought...man what a thick book, I hope it's good and then when I realized it was about alien takeover I was a little turned off. I am not really info sci-fi alien stuff. Of course I read more and really fell for this story, by the end I was crying when Wanderer was willing to sacrifice herself and Ian's pain and despair of losing her. I really liked the book and enjoy reading other stories from her.

My other question is about how it compares to her Twilight series. Obviously, they are two completely different stories and seem to be for different audiences. How does the writing style compare? Which did you prefer? Any similarities?

To me, the writing styles were so alike it kept me interested, but other than that...no similarities, unless you count an underlying romance. I was able to separate this work from her others and not compare, thus probably why I enjoyed it so much.

Who was your favorite character and why?

I was torn, I loved so many characters...Wanda I grew to love, Ian was so wonderful and so sincere, I don't think the story could have survived without him. Jeb, Jaime, Jared and Melanie...man what a tough choice...

Did you ever expect them to get caught? Were you upset that they didn't?

I did expect them to get caught and was waiting anxiously for the crazy seeker to come and when she did, I was not expecting Wanda's twist to save her and send her on. I was amazed by her constant compassion despite human emotions changing her. I am glad they didn't get caught, I didn't want it and still don't...


Do you think she will write a sequel?

I hope not, I had closure and agree, I don't think the humans can ever take back over, they are outnumbered in the whole galaxy. I enjoyed thinking they all lived happily ever after.

Did you find it strange that you liked Wanderer more than Melanie? (Assuming that you did.) How did it make you feel to be drawn to the "enemy?"

I was rooting for Melanie at first and then them both...they learned to love each other despite everything and became true soul sisters. I was glad to be able to see it from Wanderer's perspective and ultimately that made the story for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was turned off when I first started reading the host. but then I am the person that will finish a book even if I hate it. As I read I started to really get into the story and was crying at the endMy husband can't believe I cry at books).

I still like twlight better it is just more real life...we all grew up believing in vampires and all that anyways. I think that the writing style is similar she is really good at making sure that you know what is going on from other peoples perspective with out jumping around and being confusing.

My favorite was Wanda. She over came so much and made the best of her situation. I thought for sure they were caught when they did the supply run. It was so great that she included that in the story. I loved how Wanda dealt with the seeker...it just helped me like her even more.

I hope she doesn't even attempt a sequel...there is no need the story ended beautifully.