Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Usually a library fan, however...

I need to vent and this seems like the appropriate place, as I'm sure you fellow book lovers will relate.

Normally, I love the library - I go for fun and enjoy finding new treasures. I also love to put things on hold or grab the latest recommendation from a friend on Good Reads.

For the past few years, I've lived in areas with wonderful libraries. It has never been a problem to get a book. I am now living in a town in eastern Idaho where I assumed the library system would be just as convenient and book-lover friendly. Not at all.

For a town with the slogan "America's Family Community" their library system needs some serious work. Here has been my experience - I want to read a book. I try to check it out - never can get it the day of as it is always checked out. So I put it on hold. Already three holds. WHY? Because the entire Library district only owns one copy of every book.

Don't get me wrong - I am lucky to live in a place with a library. It just amazes me that for classics and popular books you have to wait two-three months to read it. And with the library fines around here, you think they could do better.

Anyway, that is my vent. That is also my reason for taking forever to read book club books. I am just now reading Christy - only two months later.

4 comments:

Jessie's Joy in Her Journey said...

Oh yes! The nashville library system may be the main reason I don't want to move back to Idaho. hee hee

Lisa Brown said...

That really stinks! There are lots of things that I don't like about Savannah, but their library system is awesome. Oh, and I was going to let you all know, the Guernsey book just came out on paperback, and so it is more affordable if you want to just buy it for your library - it is that good :).

Anonymous said...

I am running into the same thing here. It is so small and from what I have been able to find out, there is no inter-library loan system.
I need to check out the Columbus library, but I haven't had a car pretty much since we moved. So, that's why i've been MIA. ANd the fact that I am in school again. I am not even getting personal reading in. :(

Melissa said...

I'm so glad I'm not alone! Lisa - thanks for letting me know about the paperback version. And Cat - so sad you are too busy for personal reading time! But I remember feeling that way in school. It wasn't until I graduated that I even remembered liking reading.