Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Man of the Forest Discussion

This is a few days early, I know, but I will be a little busy in the next few days and didn't want to forget, so if you haven't finished yet, no worries.

I hope you all loved The Man of the Forest as much as I love it. I read it for the first time when I was ten, and even though I probably missed a lot, I was instantly drawn into this story. I loved that it was about sisters, romance, and good vs. evil, etc. Every time I read it, I get more from it. Here are my questions, and when you answer them, feel free to add one of your own :).

What was your most memorable or favorite scene from the book?

Even though there were so many great ones to choose from, I loved so many, but the scene where Al comes to get the girls in paradise Park and asks Bo about the cowboy "Las Vegas," was one of my favorites. I just loved how this strong cowboy was so shy and at a loss, and how funny the whole situation seemed to outsiders. In fact, I liked most every scene with this cowboy in it :).

Nineteen of Grey's westerns are set in the twentieth century. He mixes contemporary events such as World War I, revolutions in Mexico, large-scale dam construction, and increasing automobile use with traditional frontier elements. He suggests not only that the frontier was intact in some places but also that it could be safely visited because heroes resided there to protect innocent travelers (ZGWS). Part of this, he does through his cowboys like Carmichael, who lived most of their life as gunslingers standing up to evil. (You especially see this in his book Nevada) Helen always seemed to have a problem with this violence, but do you think this type of action was necessary for the settlement of the West?

Granted, I didn't live during this time, but from all I have ever read about it, if there hadn't been those strong heroes who were willing to sacrifice everything to stand up for the right, then settling the West would have been much harder. And although I think it is sad it had to come to bloodshed, I feel it was necessary.

Zane Grey wrote fantastic descriptions of the West, and his descriptions of western landscapes rank among the most striking ever written and are still valued for their ability to capture the character of places. What did you think of his descriptions?

Every time I read a Zane Grey novel I find myself longing for my home in the West. I was born in Arizona, raised wandering the mountains and deserts of Nevada, and spent many years in Idaho and Utah. I feel like his descriptions are very authentic and remind me of times I have been out in the wilderness and really felt close to nature. I especially loved how close to nature they got in Paradise Park. Although I don't think I could have lived that lonely life, I can appreciate it.

That said, there are many times when I completely skim over the descriptions, because as good as they are, there are a lot of them. I do think his descriptions were perfect for the time when there was no TV, Internet, and limited travel, and so this was the only way most people would experience these places.

Bo and Helen adjusted to their new life in the West very differently. Which of them do think you would most be like and why? Do you think either of their actions was better than the other?

As much as I think I would probably be like Helen - I think too much - I wish I could be free like Bo. Although Bo got into trouble at times because of her quick adjustment into their new life, I love how easily she let herself become one with the lifestyle and the place. I think they both did their best, but I think sometimes Helen let her sensibilities get in the way of letting people do what needed to be done.

7 comments:

Jessie's Joy in Her Journey said...

Lisa this was a great pick. I loved it. I tried to read Nevada this summer and just couldn't get into it, but I think after reading this one, I will give it another try! What was your most memorable or favorite scene from the book?

I really enjoyed the setup to Beasley's end. I thought it was so well played out and very dramatic in a tasteful way. That was fantastic!

Nineteen of Grey's westerns are set in the twentieth century. He mixes contemporary events such as World War I, revolutions in Mexico, large-scale dam construction, and increasing automobile use with traditional frontier elements. He suggests not only that the frontier was intact in some places but also that it could be safely visited because heroes resided there to protect innocent travelers (ZGWS). Part of this, he does through his cowboys like Carmichael, who lived most of their life as gunslingers standing up to evil. (You especially see this in his book Nevada) Helen always seemed to have a problem with this violence, but do you think this type of action was necessary for the settlement of the West?
I do think it was necessary. I don't agree with bloodshed, but at this time there was a difference in that bloodshed was a matter of survival. There had to be that willinginess to stand up for what was good and right to bring about the law and pave the way for civilization.
Zane Grey wrote fantastic descriptions of the West, and his descriptions of western landscapes rank among the most striking ever written and are still valued for their ability to capture the character of places. What did you think of his descriptions?

I enjoyed the descriptions. I missed the west even more because of it though. I love the open sky feeling and the contrast of the dark woods close with smells and limbs. I think he did a great job balancing the storyline and the descriptions and keeping you engaged and moving the story.

Bo and Helen adjusted to their new life in the West very differently. Which of them do think you would most be like and why? Do you think either of their actions was better than the other?

I'm a Helen through and through. I will step up to the situation but I like to give it every option possible to resolve reasonably. I think the world would be a very boring place if we all reacted the same way to every situation. I am grateful for the differences and feel that each personality is necessary to keep that balance.

I have to say on a side note, I really appreciated the way the "mormons" were portrayed in this story. It was very positive and I as a member of the LDS church really appreciated that!

I also enjoyed the character of Dale. His quiet passion for life and reflection and learning was wonderful. I feel like I can really learn from him. I am one who talks so much that I often miss out on opportunities to learn. I have to remind myself to listen and let others share. I really liked his character.

Jessie's Joy in Her Journey said...

I just wanted to ask one question.
Why do you think it was so important to charmichael that dale not participate in avenging the Raynor sisters ahnd why do you think it took so long for him to return after?

I think he refused Dale's help in his sensitivity to Helen. I think that Tom knew that Helen would not be able to let the west in enough to let go of the memory if Dale participated in it. I think Tom took a while in coming home to return and make sure he could be who Bo needed him to be. To make sure he too was ready to settle in and let go of the memories and that lifestyle.

Kyla Marks said...

I actually didn't read this book this month...I have had so much on my plate and read Breaking Dawn and a couple of things, but really slacked reading overall. Next month I am all in...sounds like a great book and will add it to my list.

Lisa Brown said...

I am so glad you liked it Jessie! AS an answer to your question, I agree with what you wrote. I think that Tom not only knew that Helen might have a hard time getting past it, but that since he had already been down that road before in his life, there was no reason that Dale needed to join him in it.

PS. If you are going to read Nevada, you have to read Forlorn River first, as Nevada is the sequel. It will help you get into it a lot more. Both are so good!!

Jessie's Joy in Her Journey said...

thanks for the hint. I was so lost!

Unknown said...

I loved this book! I was skeptical at first, but totally got into it. I may actually buy this one. I agree with everything everyone said. I too was wondering about with it took him so long to get back and I love your reasons and agree. I plan to read more of his books, thanks for turning me on to this author.

Anonymous said...

My favorite scene would be when they first reached Dale's park. I liked the eathiness and how he only had what was needful for survival and how low impact it was.

I do think those rough and tough types were needed. If there weren't some sort of consequence inforced and one that was memorable, the hard people who were needed to settle the hard land would have stayed hard and things could be very different for the west than what we know today.

I love his descriptions. I read all of them b/c I want to experience it. Growing up in the South you miss out on alot of those things and some don't care or know what they are missing, but I am a little jealous of those who get to experience that kind of beauty everyday.

I would like to think I would adapt as Bo did and I think in my head I would think I could do all of it, but in reality, I would probably get my walking papers handed to me and told I was a disgrace to the honor of being an American. I would be a Helen. Not that there is anything wrong with that, she and her type are needed. I have a strange desire to be a Bo type.

I don't have any questions really, but a couple of quotes to share that really stuck out to me:
"The ways of Nature are strange," he said. "I look at it different. Nature's just as keen to wean you back to a savage state as you are to be civilized. An' if Nature won, you would carry out her design all the better."
-Milt Dale p133

"Nell, we're not what we seem. We're not what we fondly imagine we are. We've lived too long with people-too far away from the earth."
-Bo Raynor p.159

I really identified with the quote from Bo, I feel as though I have lived too far away from the Earth.