Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Gift From the Sea

1. Do you think that Gift From the Sea holds any validity for new generations of Women?

I feel like it does. It is timeless to me. It also shows me that other generations of woman were dealing with what we are still facing as woman.

2. How did reading this make your feel?

For me it always reminds me that I need to slow down and remember to make some time for myself. It also makes me just want to take a deep breath of fresh air and puts me right back on track.

3. Did you relate with the Authors use of Shells?

I love the use of Shells and for me personally right now I love the Oyster Bed.

4. In the Channelled Whelk section I always come back to The Problem is not Woman and Career, Woman and the Home, Woman and Independence. It is more basically: how to remain whole in the midst of the distractions of life; how to remain balanced, no matter what centrifugal forces tend to pull one off center, how to remain strong, no matter what shocks come in that periphery and tend to crack the hub of the wheel.

This right here always hits home personally to me. I am trying to be a wife, mother, friend and yet I am trying to remain whole doing it! Sometimes life is completely insane and then I remember what Anne Lindbergh wrote right here and think yes I am normal and even someone as famous as her was experiencing the same thoughts and feelings that I am going through right now.

5. I am going to end here not really with a question just some personal thoughts. I love the fact that she says it is OK to be CREATIVE, to take time for yourself and that they whole world is not going to stop just because YOU did! I often need to be reminded to take care of myself. For me this book is like an old comfortable blanket and I can sit and CENTER myself after taking time out to read a chapter or two!

I love sharing this book with my friends and often I give this book as a gift to my female friends. I think it is so timeless no matter what generation reads it. I would love to hear your thoughts and if you really did not like it I would love to know those thoughts also.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I just got the book on hold from the library, so I haven't finished. But I do love how timeless it feels. Even though it was written years ago, by a woman older than me, I see how it relates to all women across the spectrum.

I think it is a good reminder that we are all sisters and deal with similar struggles.

Can't wait to finish it! It has been very uplifting so far.

Unknown said...

I agree that this book really helps to reminds us that we need to take some time for ourselves and that it is to be selfish, it is to help us focus and be better at the things we do. I am glad that I read this book and am going to try and be better at taking care of myself as i take on the world!

Kyla Marks said...

1. I think this book will be timeless, as long as women are trying to balance being a mom, wife,daughter, friend etc...then we will all have the same feelings of being stretched too thin. Of trying to do it all and feel less than stellar and then realizing we can do what we set out mind to

2. This book made me feel like a normal woman, the one who feels torn and guilty for taking time for herself...but it also validates the importance of it

3. I loved the shell metaphors, "one cannot collect all the beautiful shells on the beach, one can collect only a few and they are more beatiful if they are few."

4. I really enjoyed this, what a timeless lovely story. I think this should be a gift for new mothers or newly married women. This quote sums it all up for me...
"Woman must come of age by herself. This is the essence of 'coming of age'-- to learn how to stand alone. She must learn not to depend on another, nor to feel she must prove her strength by competing with another.... She must find her true center alone. She must become whole."

Anonymous said...

1. I think woman is always the same, we just do different things. Mankind has not essentially changed in essence. If we take the time, we can find lessons from old taught anew. This was one of those things for me. It was interesting to read about 'time saving' devices such as a gas stove, but how really it doesn't necessarily save time. Simplicity is the key.

2. It made me feel normal. I had been going through a guilt phase b/c I was feeling like I needed time away from my son. He shows nothing but absolute and complete love for me, why would I want a break from that? But I need to be able to show him absolute and complete love, and sometimes in order to do that, I have to love myself first. It made me feel NORMAL!

3. I did like her use of shells, it helps me to remember better.

Thanks so much for giving me your copy Tam. I really didn't think I would like it, but it was just what I needed. Little blessings from heaven through a good friend. Thanks.

Tam said...

I know that this is not something you guys usually pick to read but thanks so much for giving me the chance to share this with YOU guys!

Jessie's Joy in Her Journey said...

I loved this book. My mom has had it on her shelf forever and I remember trying to read it as a teenager. I didn't get it at the time and haven't thought about it again. I was so thankful for this opportunity to read it. I am also on vacation and in a moment of reflection and so it has been a perfect read for me at this time. Is this book timeless, absolutely. My eyes were opened and I felt understanding. I have found so much to apply and have taken it nice and slow, so that I could really take it in. I loved the point that she made about simplicity. I have felt that need to simplify and felt encouraged. I also appreciated the stages that she talked about. I also appreciate the focus on relationships. All in all I loved it. Great pick!