Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Guernsey Discussion!!

Hi all, I know I am a few days early. Don't stress - I just wanted to take a break from unpacking and get this done while I was thinking about it.

I really hope you had a chance to read this book, as it is now one of my very favorites. I really did love everything about it. Oh, I am going to put my answers in the comments section, just so I don't ruin it for any of you who haven't read it yet. Here are my questions for you . . .

1. What was your experience reading a novel composed entirely of letters? Are there types of information or emotion that letters convey more successfully than other forms of expression?

2. What were your first impressions of Dawsey? How is he different from the other men in Juliet’s life?

3. In what ways are Juliet and Elizabeth kindred spirits? Do you feel like Juliet replaced Elizabeth? How did Elizabeth change those on the island?

4. What historical facts about life in England during World War II were you especially surprised to discover? Are there ways in which fiction can provide the means for more fully understanding a historical reality?

5. Which member of the Society was your favorite? Whose literary opinions are most like your own? Do you agree with Isola that "reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad ones"?

I can't wait to hear what you thought!!! And if you can't find it at the library, I would spend the $7 on the paperback, since it is one you will want to keep.

PS. Go here to enter a for a free bookclub trip to Guernsey.

3 comments:

Lisa Brown said...

1. This is my second time reading a book composed completely of letters, the first being Sorcery and Cecilia and the Enchanted Chocolate Pot, and I learned that I LOVE this style. It is such a wonderful way to get s true glimpse into the personality of a character, without the author having to write in first person, which I hate. Guernsey was different in that there were more than just two characters writing back and forth, which made it even richer, in my opinion. So fun!

2. My first impression of Dawsey was that he was a sweet and quiet man - and that didn't change. I LOVE the end when Elizabeth goes to him and proposes, since he is too shy to make his feelings known - my favorite scene in the book!

3. I think that Elizabeth and Juliet were kindred spirits, and would have been good friends had the situation been different. I also feel that although Juliet could never truly replace Elizabeth, I think that she filled a void that was left by her, and made it possible for the Islanders to heal. Elizabeth was such a strong women, and it was her influence that not only forged the friendships and the society, but that helped the others have hope in a dark time.

4. I was shocked to learn that England had been occupied by germany, even if it was one tiny island. Maybe they try to hide that? And historical fiction has always been one of my very favorite genres, as it teaches about history on a more personal level.

5. That is a hard question - why did I ask it? I can't choose, although I did think Isola was hilarious. And I agree with the quote, because the more I read wonderful books, the less time I want to waste on mediocre ones :).

Jessie's Joy in Her Journey said...

I'm halfway through and will comment by the end of the week. I'm loving it though. Anytime a book is written through letters I enjoy it. Someday, I'll write Morgan's and my romance from Junior High on through letters and journal entries. Oh that would be a funny read. hee hee

Jessie's Joy in Her Journey said...

1. What was your experience reading a novel composed entirely of letters? Are there types of information or emotion that letters convey more successfully than other forms of expression?

I too, read Patricia Wrede's Chocolate Pot series and LOVE the stories told through letters. I like that the reader has to do some filling in. It leave more to the imagination and yet gives you details without stating the obvious.

2. What were your first impressions of Dawsey? How is he different from the other men in Juliet’s life?
I love Dawsey. I love that he is solid and quiet and peaceful. I love that he fills his life with kind deeds and love of others. He is everything that Mark is not. Even Sydney has a more forceful personality.

3. In what ways are Juliet and Elizabeth kindred spirits? Do you feel like Juliet replaced Elizabeth? How did Elizabeth change those on the island?
Juliet and Elizabeth are both free spirits who have a desire to make the world a better place. Juliet could never replace Elizabeth, but I agree that she did help those who loved and missed Elizabeth heal. I think she gave them hope, and purpose. She reminded them that life goes on and it is what you make of it. She is a great character!
4. What historical facts about life in England during World War II were you especially surprised to discover? Are there ways in which fiction can provide the means for more fully understanding a historical reality?
I love historical fiction. I love having a character to follow through history. It makes it more personal although reading The Diary of Anne Frank was just as beautiful and true. I think the difference is finding a historical book that engages your heart and leaves you immersing yourself in the lives and experience of someone else who you can relate to.
5. Which member of the Society was your favorite? Whose literary opinions are most like your own? Do you agree with Isola that "reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad ones"?
I don't know that I could choose one character, but Kit was one of my favorites. She was such a fun character and I loved seeing how she would judge the newcomers. One of my favorite scenes was the one where Isola and she captured the secretary and Kit was just sitting there on top of her luggage. Can't you just picture it!
YES! I agree one hundred percent. I find that I am far less likely to waste time on a book that has few redeeming qualities when there are so many good ones to choose from.