Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Five Love Languages

So Ladies, I hope you all enjoyed this book. I think it is an interesting one that allows me to look inward and see where I am meeting the needs of my family as well as where my needs are being met.

Did you agree with the author's idea of 5 main love languages?
I did. It's funny since I read this a few years ago, I had a lot of fun giving my impression of what my families love languages were and finding out what they thought. Most of the time, I was reading them as something they weren't so it was great to find their needs and ways to show them love in their language.

Was it easy to figure out your love language?
Mine was really obvious. I feel love through service and I give love through service. It felt like I am so far to the one side, that I need to learn to feel and give love in other ways as well. I have always thought that my mom was one to feel love through gifts, because that is how she shows love. I found out that her love language is quality time, but as a child her family showed love through gifts and so that's how she learned to show love. I think it is really interesting how family environment affects love language. It has made me much more aware of how I am raising my children. I want more than ever to make sure that I am loving them in their language.

Has this been a book that has helped or hindered you?

My friend read this book at the same time and we were discussing it. She was not a fan. She said it's a great book, but I feel so frustrated. My husband is not a reader and so it's tough to know we aren't speaking each other's love language and there is not chance that he will read the book and understand that! I on the other hand had some great discussions with my husband. We were able to discuss our differences and where our needs weren't being met. We also talked a lot about trying to show love in all the languages, and allowing the kids to really find the way that they responded on their own.

Feel free to share any other comments you might have. I loved how he said to imagine each of us with a love tank. When Morgan and I first read the book, we realized that the terrible two's were tough, yes, but that a lot of that was that we were not refilling our kids love tanks. They were acting out for attention of any kind. It really made me more aware of them and gave me a great visual to keep me thinking of what I could do to fill that tank!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally bummed that I didn't get a chance to read this book! I have seriously been slacking on my reading. It is on my TBR though. Thanks for choosing this book, I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

Kyla Marks said...

I want to buy this book and add it to my collection, I also didn't read the book this month and had slacked in a ton of areas with work being so understaffed. We're back and I'm ready for November. I do have this on my list to read as well. I hope others have read the book to discuss with Jesse and enjoyed your perspective on the book as well.

Kyla Marks said...

I want to buy this book and add it to my collection, I also didn't read the book this month and had slacked in a ton of areas with work being so understaffed. We're back and I'm ready for November. I do have this on my list to read as well. I hope others have read the book to discuss with Jesse and enjoyed your perspective on the book as well.

Unknown said...

I got it from the library on cd and thought I would listen to it in the car and never did, so I am still waiting for it from the library and will read it as soon as it comes in.