Monday, September 28, 2009

Finally! Q & A for Tom Sawyer!

I really loved this book! There are so many questions I could ask, but I thought I'd keep is short and sweet and give you an opportunity to add to the discussion with your ideas. I also asked Liam to help me with some of the questions so you get the mind of an eight year old helping out. Thanks for reading~ And Kyla will lead our October discussion and Michelle will lead out November. Thanks ladies!

1. Why do you think Tom and Huck are friends? (Liam's question)

2. Were you able to relate to the characters in the story? To whom did you feel you could relate most?

3. Twain is sometimes called a "realist" writer. Are Tom, Huck, and Becky accurate portraits of young people? Did you enjoy his writing style?

4.If you could eavesdrop on your own funeral, what would you like to hear?

5.Do you feel like there is any symbolism to the whitewash fence, the caves or the missouri river/jackson's island? If so what?

Bonus question* What astronomical occurance brought Mark Twain into the world and occured again the year he died?
~ Please feel free to add your own questions as well~

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

1. I think Tom was originally drawn to Huck Fin because he was the one everyone else avoided. Tom was always trying to do the opposite of what he was supposed to, and so it was his rebeliousness that sparked their friendship.

2. I think I related most with Tom's aunt. As i read about Tom's disobedience, it reminded me of how my own children like to act at times - with blatant disobedience :).

3. I think that they are acurate portraits of certain types of young people. One thing teaching Elementary school, and then having children, has taught me is that there is a unique personality for each child ever born, and so there has to have been kids just like them :).

4. Hmm, I would love to hear that I had made a positive impact in people's lives. That I had made them feel loved.

5. There propbably is, but since the library never sent me the REAL version of Tom Sawyer (which left me stuck reading the kids abridged version), I think that any great symbolism was lost in the dumbing down they did of the story. (I am still hoping to finally get the real copy to read. I only requested it back in August - oh well.)

6. I think it was a commet - I think I remember watching a show where they mentioned that.