Thursday, July 23, 2009


Wow this book was nothing like I expected it to be. This is the first Richard Paul Evan's book I've read and I want to read more. I really enjoyed it. The story was beautiful. It was a quick read (which is great when you have four kids in the background.) It was inspiring and interesting and gave me all kinds of wild and crazy ideas to look forward to someday fulfilling... So, on to the questions...

1. Sunflowers appear throughout the story, from the name of the orphanage (El Girasol)to Christine's wedding decorations to symbols found in the ancient Temple of the Sun in Machu Picchu. What does the image of the sunflower represent? What does it mean to Christine in particular?

2.Describe Christine's transformation from the beginning of the story to the end. In what significant ways does she change? When Christine and Paul leave Makisapa Lodge
after she recovers from her illness, the walk through the jungle no longer frightens
her. "She knew she was not the same woman who had marched into the jungle the
week before" (283). Why is Christine not afraid this time?

3.Paul successfully weathered the simultaneous lawsuits brought against him by the
families of two patients who died in the ER under his care. Why then did he give up his career as a doctor and leave the United States to travel around South America? What draws him to El Girasol and then compels him to stay on as director of the orphanage?

4.Why does Paul share the story of his mother, who is dying from ALS, with Christine?
When Christine returns to the orphanage at the end of the story, why does she repeat
to Paul the phrase ("Love is stronger than pain") that he used when telling her about
his parents? How does this sentiment apply to their situation?

5.In the Epilogue, the narrator who began the story reveals that Paul and Christine have married and settled in a Dayton suburb with Pablo and Roxana. What was your
reaction to finding out that Paul chose not to continue running the orphanage? What
purpose does the narrator serve?

6.When Paul learns that he is to see Christine again as a result of Jim's accident, he writes in his diary, "Fate has a way of cutting corners" (195). Do you believe in fate?


7.If you were the New York Post what would you write as a comment to your readers about this book?

8.How would you compare this book and it's message with that of Three Cups of Tea?

Spinach & Sunflower Salad w/ Orange Vinaigrette

The perfect salad for entertaining -- a kaleidoscope of colors with textures ranging from sweet to salty and silky to crunchy. Dressing can be made 2-3 days ahead and refrigerated.

5 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 cups spinach, washed, dried, and trimmed
½ cup beets, drained, sliced or julianned
½ cup mandarin oranges, drained
¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
¼ cup caramelized sunflower kernels



Combine vinegar, orange juice concentrate, oil, oregano, and salt in a small bowl and whisk briskly.

Pour dressing over spinach and toss until spinach is coated. Equally divide spinach onto 4 salad plates. Arrange beets, oranges, cheese, and sunflower kernels evenly on each salad.


4 servings

Per serving -- Calories: 207; Total Fat: 14 g; Carbohydrate: 13 g; Sat. Fat: 3.5 g; Dietary Fiber: 5 g; Cholesterol: 14 mg; Protein: 9 g; Sodium: 355 mg; Calcium: 210 mg

3 comments:

Lisa Brown said...

I was surprised by how much I liked this book, because I had found the other books I have read by him a little sappy. This was really great. And now, on to the questions . . .

1. I am not sure what I think the sunflowers mean exactly, but I love how the lack of them in the end of the story was a huge sign to Christine. When her ex-fiance comes to get her and brings her roses (her least favorite flower) and does not bring her her favorite, it shows how little he knew her.

2. Christine was forced out of her comfort zone, literally, and learned that she could love other things - not just people. That she could actually find peace and joy while crocodile hunting, etc. It was a gradual process, but really began when she first served the little girl at The Sunflower.

3. I think Paul left because he had lost faith in people and life, but being at El Girasol renewed that faith and showed him a way he could make a real difference - something he didn't feel he was doing in his old life. (Although I am sure he was as a doctor, but he didn't feel that way.)

4. I think he couldn't help opening up to her, and although the situation was entirely different, it mirrored their own in the fact that loving someone was worth the sacrifice that had to be made.

5. Although at first I was surprised, when they said who had taken over for him, it made sense. Plus it had all come full circle, that one who started out as one of the boys, became his replacement. Also, he had a new purpose and a family to give to now as well.

6. I don't know that I would call it fate, but I definitely believe there are times in our life when we are guided to where we need to be. My mission was a huge example of that (it is a LONG story), and I felt that my health was used to move me from place to place to place, right when I needed to be there.

7. I don't know about the New York Times, but this was my review for my Goodreads account:

I have to admitt, when I started this book, I was pretty cynical about it. I am not a big Richard Paul Evans fan, as I feel he gets a little too sappy. I was so pleasently surprised with The Sunflower. After the initial set-up of the jilted bride, Christine, whose friend takes her on a service trip to the Amazon, the story got really good.

My favorite part was all I learned about Peru, especially the troubles of the stree children there and throughout the world. It made me want to do something to help, although I don't know that I could get over the bugs to do it ;). It had a sweet message and a great ending.

8. I think that the message was very similar - that one man can make a huge difference in the lives of others. And maybe because this was fiction and the other not, I found that reading this was a lot more enjoyable than the other.

PS. Jessie, you need to answer your own questions :). He he!

Jessie's Joy in Her Journey said...

Would you believe that I got halfway through my answers when my kids had a meltdown... Alas the life of a mom...here goes!

1. Sunflowers appear throughout the story, from the name of the orphanage (El Girasol)to Christine's wedding decorations to symbols found in the ancient Temple of the Sun in Machu Picchu. What does the image of the sunflower represent? What does it mean to Christine in particular? Sunflowers are notorious for following the light. I thought it very appropriate that the sunflower was a symbol for this book. Both Paul and Christine were on a journey to find light or happiness/peace in their lives. I too thought it interesting that Martin knew so little about Christine as to bring her roses in the end.

2.Describe Christine's transformation from the beginning of the story to the end. In what significant ways does she change? When Christine and Paul leave Makisapa Lodge
after she recovers from her illness, the walk through the jungle no longer frightens
her. "She knew she was not the same woman who had marched into the jungle the
week before" (283). Why is Christine not afraid this time?

I love the transition Christine goes through. She is forced to face her fears and step outside of her comfort zone and instead of clinging to the past, moves forward and embraces the future. I think Roxanna played a huge role in that. It is only when we lose ourselves that we really find ourselves.

3.Paul successfully weathered the simultaneous lawsuits brought against him by the
families of two patients who died in the ER under his care. Why then did he give up his career as a doctor and leave the United States to travel around South America? What draws him to El Girasol and then compels him to stay on as director of the orphanage?
Paul it seems did lose faith in himself and in others. I think he left America to lose himself and in doing so found peace in serving children. I think he also found the unconditional love and honesty that he was lacking in the states. The children teach him that it is ok to trust even though you have been hurt. In fact, you have to learn how to let go of the past and move on in order to survive. I think El Girasol, gave Paul the opportunity to serve and be served, love and be loved.
4.Why does Paul share the story of his mother, who is dying from ALS, with Christine?
When Christine returns to the orphanage at the end of the story, why does she repeat
to Paul the phrase ("Love is stronger than pain") that he used when telling her about
his parents? How does this sentiment apply to their situation?
Paul's parent's situation show his inner heart. He wants a love like what they have. In the end, Christine is referencing the fact that she too is willing to give her all no matter what the difficulties. I think the sentiment applies to their situation in that they both have had pain in their past, but they now have the choice to love more than feel the pain.

Jessie's Joy in Her Journey said...

5.In the Epilogue, the narrator who began the story reveals that Paul and Christine have married and settled in a Dayton suburb with Pablo and Roxana. What was your
reaction to finding out that Paul chose not to continue running the orphanage? What
purpose does the narrator serve?
At first I was disappointed, but then I realized that that ending would not be realistic. Christine was not the type to stay in the jungle forever. For the two of them to adopt Pablo and Roxana, was a great ending and a great way to tie the two lives together. So in the end I was satisfied. The narrator is like the book cover, he holds the story together.
6.When Paul learns that he is to see Christine again as a result of Jim's accident, he writes in his diary, "Fate has a way of cutting corners" (195). Do you believe in fate?

I believe in being guided by a loving father in heaven. I think we still make choices that govern our lives, but I truly believe that if we seek answers to what steps to take in our lives, we will find them.
7.If you were the New York Post what would you write as a comment to your readers about this book?
Thought the writing style reminds me of Nicholas Sparks, the story is sweet. I thoroughly enjoyed this read!

8.How would you compare this book and it's message with that of Three Cups of Tea? Both inspired me to want to accomplish great things and reach out and serve others. Again, I had to remind myself that raising my children and teaching them to love and serve others is my priority right now, but I look forward to the day when I can take my family on a trip and learn more about these countries and take opportunities to serve others.