Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Hero and the Crown Discussion

I really enjoyed reading this book, as I have enjoyed reading all of Robin McKinley's books. They are ones I could read again and again.

1. What did you think about Tor teaching Aerin how to sword fight? He knew he shouldn't be doing it, but he risks it anyways. Why does this say about him?

2. Did you expect Aerin to be able to defeat Maur? Did you expect it to be at such a price? Did you think the story would end there?

3. How did Aerin's relationship with Luthe make you feel? Do you think it is possible to love 2 people at the same time?

4. Aerin's half sister ( I forget her name exactly, Gallana?), her hair turns completely grey after her husband dies. It was referenced throughout the story that she wanted to marry Tor b/c he was the next in line to be king but had to settle for the second in line. Do you think she really did love her husband despite all the court intrigue and jealousies?

5. Ask your own question.

My answers:
1. I think Tor teaching Aerin how to do something she shouldn't know how to do shows that he views her as an equal. Even though she is a girl, he teaches her something male and that it would be looked down on if somebody knew, and even with this knowledge, he continues to do it. I think the sense of partnership he shows makes for a wise and fair king.

2. I'm so naive. I thought her kenet would protect her better than it did. I knew it would be a challenge but not that she would almost die. And her horse stayed true to her and by her side the whole time. I also didn't think that she would get so sick afterwards. But then again, the big dragons were described as demons and the little dragons were only like vermin, I should have expected Maur to be much more powerful and evil. And for whatever reason, I thought that Maur had the crown and after defeating him, she would find it and return the hero. I was so confused when there was still so much book left after she killed him.

3. Luthe bugged me. I guess b/c Tor was such a nice guy, and had been Aerin's friend when no one else had, and taught her how to sword fight and such. And then she just met Luthe and he was weird and she fell for him quick. Luthe seemed, for all his mageness, stupid and I couldn't see why she liked him. Not to mention that he was somewhat of a coward. Tor is out there fighting for his country and Luthe all holed up in the mountains. And I don't think you can love two people, not without hurting yourself and at least one of the others. Kinda like you cannot serve two masters, you end up loving one and despising the other. In the book, it even says that the immortal part of Aerin buried itself so she could love Tor and her country the way she needed too.
*Robin McKinley got a lot of flack for the whole Aerin/Tor/Luthe love triangle. I read about it on her blog.

4. It was hard for me to believe that she loved anyone when she could be so mean to Aerin, and even still after getting married, flirt with Tor. How can someone so malicious be capable of love? But after she simmered down and all her hair turned grey after her husband died, I think she finally realized that she loved her husband and that she needed to change.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this book because of the clean way she wrote a very good book with all the intensity.

1. I am so glad that Tor taught her thw sword. Sometimes it frustrates me how oppressed women where back then and it is a relieve to her that strong women existed. It also showed that that he cared for her and wanted her to be happy. He knew that things were so hard for her and didn't want to make more difficult by deny her how to use a sword. It also saved his bacon later.

2. I really didn't think she was going to be able to. I thought she would turn around and regroup, but then again she didn't seem to second guess herself very often. I really was surprised that she got so ill, I thought the kenet would really protect her.

3. I thought that Luthe wasn't a good match for her and feared that she would stay with him after her after the whole tower rescue. So I was relieved that she went home. I think that you can love someone with all your heart and yet still have a strong pull to find out what it would be like to be with someone else, but that is the curious nature in us not love.

4. I think she porbably grew to care for her husband even though he was not her first choice. She didn't hate him so love could grow because they were always together.
Can't wait to read the next book, I will be reading it in Mexico!

Tam said...

I liked the book and it was my first by this Author.

1. I think Tor taught her how to sword fight for many reasons. I think it was because he knew that she had a destiny to fulfill and that this was part of it. He knew also that she was very different and I think that played a part in his wanting to help her.

2. I completely expected her to defeat Maur. I was a little suprised that the author decided to have Aerin so badly hurt and get very sick. I have pondered that and this needed be done so she could meet Luthe.

3. I think the whole thing with Luthe is leading us to something else that we yet do not know. I did not mind her falling for him. It did not bother me at all. I think she and Luthe knew that her destiny was elsewhere for the time being and later they will have their time.

4. I am not really sure what I think of the whole situation with the gray hair. Is the author trying to use this as something Symbolic about love and death? Is this suppose to be a lesson?

Jessie's Joy in Her Journey said...

I really love this book. Morgan, my husband is now interested in reading it to research what makes it so rereadable. ( he is an author in the making)

1. I really didn't give too much thought to Tor teaching Erin sword play. I'm glad he did. I agree that it shows his ability to judge not on what is the social norm, but on what is fair and honorable.

2. I am an optimist, and so yes I knew that she would overcome Maur. I also believed that the hero's crown would be there. I liked the twist with the dragon's blood gemstone. I thought it was interesting that something from a creature so evil could eventually be the thing that overcame the greatest evil.

I liked Luthe. I felt that he truly cared for Erin and was willing to let go of her to let her achieve her destiny. I think to some extent that Luthe taught Erin that it was OK to love and be loved. He helped to open the door for her to open her heart to her true feeling for Tor.

I think Galanna realized that life is not about looks, impressions and wealth, but about love and experience. I think that there is probably a piece of her that wished for the people that she lost and the time that she lost being so caught up in herself.

What theme affected you the most. I loved the sense of loyalty and love beyond first impressions. The animals that joined Erin and Talat were to loyal and faithful and able to look beyond what everyone else saw in her. I think we can all learn from this and strive to look beyond the first impression and see people for their individual value.

Lisa Brown said...

So sad, I was just looking at the comments, and realized that the one I spent forever typing on Thursday didn't appear!! AHH! I don't have enough energy to write my responses again. I am totally bummed that it didn't post. Oh well. In a nutshell, just know that I love the book, I loved Aerin and Tor - and that he gave her a sword, didn't like the Luthe part, and though Gallana was finally shocked out of her self centeredness.

Melissa said...

Sorry it has taken me so long to participate this month. I completely enjoyed this story and loved seeing a princess save the kingdom. I appreaciated this unique twist to a fairy tale.

1. I think Tor saw beyond conventions and protocol. He just did what was right or logical.

2. I didn't expect her to defeat Maur - there was still so many pages! And I totally thought she would find the crown with him. that was a could twist to the plot.

3. Definitely not - or you couldn't be loyal and that is part of love. I did like that she had to choose, although it would have been more complete if she had decided completely on one or the other. But I understand that this whole "immortality" thing complicated matters. And I might be the only one, but I also liked Luthe. (sorry, I also like Jacob in the Twilight series).

4. I can't remember who said it - but I don't think she was capable of loving anyone but herself. I think she realized her own selfishness with her husbands death - and that's the shock that changed her hair color.

5. My own question - for those of you that haven't read the next book (which includes myself) what do you think happens? (And no cheating and looking on book reviews.)

Tam said...

I ordered a set of books from this Author to Read and have not had a chance to read the next one yet but I have it and plan to do so soon. I am thinking that Aerin is immortal and that well Tor is not and that is probably when she reunites with Luthe for reasons that I hope is revealed. Ok I read this Outlander series that I love and well it is sort of like that for one character. They are not immortals but she ends up with two husbands of a sort....anyway I sort of feel that or think this leading in that direction.